Nymph - Goujon
Nymph inspired by Jean GOUJON's fountain of innocents in Paris (Active since 1540 - probably died in Bologna between 1565 and 1568).
The fountain was built in 1549 on the occasion of Henri II's entry into Paris by Jean Goujon. It is possible that Pierre Lescot helped to make it happen. It is located in the Les Halles district, and at the time formed a kind of elevated portico overlooking rue Saint-Denis, the place where the royal procession passed through.
The sculptor in charge of designing the fountain decided to decorate it with light reliefs reminiscent of water nymphs, referring to the ancient tradition of the nymphaeum. Jean Goujon rethinks the bas-relief; his figures adapt to the frame and are self-sufficient. Thus, it creates the illusion of space in the thinness of the stone. He draws his inspiration from the marine triumphs carved on the ancient sarcophagi
Originally, a low flow flow from the fountain taps was used to evoke the undulation of the marine world.
Under the Empire, the improvement of the water supply made it possible to bring out the cascading flow. In order to preserve these bas-reliefs of water runoff, they were removed and entered the Louvre Museum in 1810.
- Dimensions :
- H. 30 cm, L.9 cm, Prof.2cm
- EAN :
- Reference :
- Author :
- Jean GOUJON (vers 1510-vers 15