This piece of jewellery is inspired by a gold leaf from the laurel crown worn by Napoleon during his coronation at Notre Dame on 2 December 1804.
This crown, which is illustrated in various paintings of the Emperor wearing his coronation costume or of the coronation ceremony itself, painted by David, was destroyed during the Restoration. While the painter Jean-Baptiste Isabey was fitting the crown on the Emperor, a leaf fell off. Napoleon asked him to keep it. Piously kept by Isabey, this leaf is the only remaining souvenir of the imperial crown.