Acquired in 1799 by Josephine Bonaparte, Malmaison was the residence of
the First Consul and his wife and the seat of the government of France, with
the Tuileries, from 1800 to 1802. After her divorce from the Emperor, Josephine
retired to the Castle and acquired in 1810 the neighboring castle of
Bois-Préau. The two residences, turned into a museum, the first in 1906, the
second in 1958, both dedicated to the Napoleonic history.