At the end of his life, Gustave Moreau (1826-1898) decided to transform
his house into a museum that would bring together most of his work. He had some
enlargement work done, and took many of his earlier compositions in large
format. He died before being able to realize the hanging of which his universal
legatee, Henri Rupp, took charge. The museum opened in 1903. It brings together
6,000 works by the painter.